- This event has passed.
NMCO-Z Car Run
09/16/2022 @ 3:00 pm - 09/18/2022 @ 8:00 am
NMCO-Z Car Run
When: September 16 – 18, 2022 (Fri-Sun) at 3pm
Where: Art Cartopia Museum in Trinidad, CO
ZCCC Host: Jason Spegal
Event Organizer: Art Singer
Please click this PDF for complete event details: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ovPVhJzycC8KWQYRd_7pIQTe1jJMDuTA/view?usp=sharing
Three years ago Roy Davis and Art Singer put together the idea to have a drive between the Colorado and Albuquerque Z car clubs, and that is now happening. We’re also being joined by folks from the east and west coasts to include Kenny Ueda (Johnnie Gable’s son), and Walt Bailey from Georgia. Please join us for a magnificent drive across several mountains to Pagosa Springs and back. The drive itself will be Saturday, starting at 7:30am, driving across four mountain passes, and totaling 450 miles with about 8 hours of scenic driving. Art Singer of the Albuquerque club will be leading the drive. Several stops along the way for breaks and photo opportunities will give plenty of time to stretch your legs, socialize, use the rest room, and fill your tanks. This includes a 2-1/2 hour stop in Pagosa Springs for lunch and exploration. The intent is to arrive back in Trinidad for dinner at Rino’s @ 7:30pm with enough time for everyone to freshen up beforehand. Before the drive on Friday the event will start for those who can make it by then at the Art Cartopia Museum at 3pm, followed by a break then dinner at the Club 14 Garden Grill & Pub. While bringing your Z is preferred, it’s not a hard rule and you can bring another vehicle if needed.
If you have any questions, feel free to send (Art Singer) an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), text or phone message to 505-835-9170. Hope to see you all there.
PLEASE SEE AGENDA BELOW:
Friday – September 16, 2022 (optional)
Art Cartopia Museum
Meet at the museum at 3:00pm (this will gives us up to 2 hours to look around)
Located at 702 Freedom Road, Trinidad, CO 81082 (719-846-3473)
Take exit 15 off I-25 (from north – turn left under highway on Goodard Ave/US Hwy 160, then left on Freedom Road.
From south – turn right onto US Hwy 160, then left on Freedom Road).
Dinner – Club 14 Garden Grill & Pub
Located at 101 Americana Road, Trinidad, CO 81082 (719-846-3473)
Take right out of Travelodge parking lot onto Main Street to Commercial Street,
turn left and head towards interstate. Americana is just past the Purgatoire river on your right.
Saturday – September 17, 2022
NMCO-Z Car Run
- First Leg: Trinidad to La Veta – 67 miles
- Leave motel at 7:30am (if you need gas or food (McDonald’s), these are located at the starting point. Take right out of Travelodge parking lot onto Main Street, then left on Animas Street. Rt 12 starts right past the interstate (also called University). 1st 10 minute stretch and bathroom break is in La Veta. Continue on Rt 12 through town, to the Valero gas station on the right side of the road.
- Second Leg: La Veta to Alamosa – 59 miles
- Stay on Rt 12 to US Hwy 160. Turn left towards Alamosa. Go through town (stay on US Hwy 160) where we will take our 2nd 10 minute gas and bathroom break. The Maverik gas station will be on your right just past downtown on Main Street/US Hwy 160.
- Third Leg: Alamosa to Pagosa Springs – 89 miles
- Continue on US Hwy 160 to Monte Vista where we will have our 1st photo opportunity. I will be driving there ahead of the group to get the picture. I will be taking pictures as the main group drives through downtown Monte Vista (try not to let any non Z’s in between you please. Continue on US Hwy 160 to Pagosa Springs. Just past the intersection where US Hwy 160 and RT 84S connect you will see the Junction Restaurant (401 E. Pagosa) on your left. I picked this place since it had a lot of parking space. I have allotted 2-1/2 hours to check out Pagosa Springs. Everyone should meet back at the restaurant by 2:30pm.
- Fourth Leg: Pagosa Springs to Chama, NM – 49 miles
- Head south on 84S to Chama, NM where we will take our 3rd 10 minute break to get gas before heading back into Colorado. There are a couple of gas stations to choose from (this should be our last time needing gas). But, just in case there is a gas station in San Luis.
- Fifth Leg: Chama, NM to San Luis – 86 miles
- We then head north on Rt 17 towards Antonito. Just after going over the Cumbres Pass we will stop for our 2nd photo opportunity. There is a pull off (paved) just over the pass (about mile marker 5). From Antonito we head north on Rt 285 for just under 7 miles to Rt 142 where we head east to San Luis. A stop in San Luis this will be our final 10 minute break of the day for a chance to use the bathroom one more time.
- Sixth Leg: San Luis to Trinidad – 100 miles
- From San Luis we go north on Rt 158 to Fort Garland where we get back on US Hwy 160 heading east towards Walsenburg. At this point we have two options getting back to Trinidad. We can take the straight forward route to Walsenburg onto I-25 back to Trinidad or we can take Rt 12 (from where we started) back into Trinidad. We will decide in San Luis who wants to take what route back. Again we need to be back in time for dinner reservations (7:30pm) at Rino’s Italian Restaurant.
Travelodge by Wyndham
702 W. Main Street
(take exit 13B, go left under I-25 and motel will be on your right)
719-846-2271 – contact person: Patrica
When making the reservation let them know you are with the Z event and that the code name is NMCO-Run to get a 10% discount off the regular price. This discount is good till the end of August. So make your reservations soon. Please email (email@example.com number of people in your room reservation so I can get a count for lunch and dinner reservations
Friday – September 16, 2022
Club 14 Garden Grill & Pub
101 American Road
(make right on Main Street, then turn left on Commercial Street. Restaurant is on right as you get close to I-25)
When: Friday, September 16th
Time: TBD at motel after check-in
Saturday – September 17, 2022
401 E. Pagosa
(as we come into Pagosa Springs from Wolf Creek Pass, just past the intersection where 160 meets 84S,
the restaurant will be on your left)
When: Saturday, September 17th
Rino’s Italian Restaurant
400 E. Main Street
(make right on Main Street to the 400 block, restaurant will be on your right)